Friday, January 20, 2012

What's New for 2012?

Since I had Londyn 16months ago, plus the 7months before that (yes, pregnancy is 9months), I've been horribly anti-social (the first 2 months were fine).
Not "baby-blues" kind of anti-social, just tired, exhausted, not feeling my best- which is what happens when one neglects oneself in favour of caring for a new life.
And I'm not complaining. Not at all! We're hoping to get pregnant again this year.

But it does play into what I hope to accomplish this year.
To be more involved! (perhaps even a better blogger ;) )


I joined Slow Food in the fall and went to my first meeting last week. It was great to finally meet some of the people I follow on twitter and who's blogs I read!
I've also volunteered to help out with the Slow Food National Conference Edmonton is hosting this May.
The big fundraising gala is May 5th at the Enjoy Centre in St.Albert. Get in contact with Valerie to get your hand on some tickets.

The other big project for me this year (besides baby making) is my friend, Mira, and I are doing a bi-monthly Supper Club and a seasonal Food Swap.
We're trying to keep both on a small scale and invite-only to stop them from getting out of hand. I would say the Supper Club succeeds on that note, but the Food Swap probably not lol We just know too many great cooks and food lovers!
And that's ok. If we get too many to host it in my home, then we'll find a business to host us or rent a small hall (but that involves $ and we're trying to stay away from that)

If those sound like great adventures I encourage you to start your own Supper Club or Food Swap!
It's easy to find info from other groups on the net to help set up your own guidelines.

Maybe a Food Swap isn't your thing... How about for July, August and September hold a monthly Garden Swap! All that extra zucchini weighting you down? Too many turnips than you know what to do with? Swap it! Someone might be over run with beets or broad beans, something you forgot to plant this year.

They are all great ways to connect with other locavores, homesteaders, slow food believers, foodies, home cooks and bakers, and gardeners.
You have to make new friends somehow, right? As your interests grow and develop, so must your social life.

As Ina Garten says, "Food is not about impressing people. It's about making them feel comfortable."

2 comments:

  1. from a fellow seasonally anti-social being- I think your involvement with slow food and your new initiatives might even get me out of hibernation!! keep up the good work Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a garden swap in summer. Never thought of doing that. We sure do enjoy this time of year, when we have oodles of home-grown produce in the freezer (and some, canned, in the cupboard). It's like a game, every dinnertime, counting how many home-grown items are on our plates. But I do think I could spare a few bags of slivered green peppers or jars of freezer sweet pickles to share with a fellow foodie :) Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete