Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Garden is Up and Growing!

Spinach up, check.
Lettuce up, check.
Beans up, check.
Peas up, check.
Carrots up, check. (though some silly person ended up planting them all in a clump...i still dont know how that happened...)
Beets up, check.
Onions up, check.
Potatoes up, check.
Tomatoes planted and making fruit, check!

YAY! by the end of July I should be able to start getting a nice little haul out of my garden plot.

There was thunderstorms and big fat raindrops and a little bit of hail yesterday evening... my spinach has thus been pinned to the dirt and the lettuce looks a little beaten, but I see a full recovery in their future. The rest of the garden was none the worse for wear this morning.

Here's some pics of my upcoming bounty :)

Almost ready to eat!

The fat raindrops and a touch of hail flattened my spinach... but it'll recover.

Mmmmmmm... peas :)

Tops of the onions growing high to the sunshine! And some wicked tall (in need of larger hills...) potatoes in the background.

Fresh beans are one of my favorite summer treats!


My sister Kristy and our aunt attended the Summer Mushroom course last weekend. Ate puffballs and whatnot :) We'd all like to take the Fall course as well, but it wasn't on the list yet when we were registering and now it's all full up... next year maybe...

Nelson of Rose Ridge Land and Cattle is attending a Market at the Edmonton Garrison tomorrow. Londyn and I will make a stop there to sample some wares on our way out to see my parents for the long weekend. Mmmmmmm, farmer's market goodies...

- DJK

4 comments:

  1. great to discover you!!!! We have so much in common! Isn't gardening so inspirational!
    Too bad about the squirrels!
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I don't use feeds or readers - so if you upload feedburenr or if you are a wordpress site there is a subscribe 2 plug in that will let people like me subscribe to your posts by e-mail.
    :)
    valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, i never even saw anyone comment before! i changed that so now i'm notified :)
    i will look into the plug, but i see there is a link under the comment box that says, "subscribe by email".... same thing maybe??

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, that's just for comments for this blog posting lol

    ReplyDelete